About a month ago I began searching for a plugin I just knew existed. I needed a plugin that would allow me to select a category, a number of posts, and display a neatly formatted list of the applicable posts from that category.
For the site in question, I needed to list recent posts from a “Projects” category. I imagined that there would be at minimum a plugin for posting news items that I could modify. I settled with using The_Loop. At the time I made a mental note “I need to turn this into a plugin.”
Which brings us to Featured Category, my first WordPress Plugin. (Be gentle!)
I tried to follow the WordPress API as closely as possible.
Once you activate the plugin, , simply load it’s settings page and choose the category, the title or “heading” and the number of posts you wish to display.
If the style is not to your liking, simply modify featcat_style.css in the plugin directory. I have included entries for implemented and unimplemented portions to speed things up.
This plugin makes displaying posts from a specific category simple.
Please contact me with any questions. Feel free to post a comment below.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
- Integrated CSS into admin panel. Now stores stylesheet in WordPress database.
- Added instructions.
- Tweaked a few other things.
- Fixed security issue. Now only administrators can modify admin settings.
- Deleted trailing spaces at the end of the main plugin file. This was somehow causing conflicts with WP Super Cache plugin. Bizzarre, I know.
- Fixed path name. (WordPress renamed the installation folder.)
- Settings page now sets the category drop down box selection when you return to the page.
- It shouldn’t run in sidebar widgets anymore. (Assuming the content portion loads before sidebar…I may need to tweak this in the future.)
- Original release.
Download it now…
Featured Category 1.1 for WordPress 3.0.4